Although well-established in corporate dental plans, National Dental Plan is now entering the individual dental market with two innovative new products.
Wisdom Benefits is a non-insurance plan that offers a 20% discount on private dental care plus on adult orthodontics and cosmetic dental procedures. Single and family membership is available, costing £19.95 and £29.95 a year respectively. Members can visit any dentist in the expanding network of dental practices (149 across the UK when we checked on 22 May).
Dencover is a low cost dental insurance plan for individuals with five cover options: NHS; Silver; Gold; Platinum, and Diamond. Benefits on the top of the range Dencover Diamond are:
• Maintenance: routine examinations and X-rays: pays 100% of the cost, up to a maximum benefit of £105 a year.
• Maintenance: scale and polish/hygiene treatment: pays 80% of the cost, up to £123 a year. There is a two month initial qualifying period.
• Procedural work: pays 55% of the cost up to £810 a year (£410 for crowns, bridges and root canals).
• Accident: worldwide: pays 100% of the cost up to £12,000. There is a 15 day initial qualifying period.
• Emergency: worldwide: pays 100% of the cost up to £1,100. There is a 15 day initial qualifying period.
• Hospital dental cover: pays £50 per overnight stay, up to 20 nights a year.
In addition, a single payment of £12,000 is payable on diagnosis of oral cancer. Cover levels are lower on the other plans. For example, Dencover NHS pays up to £18 on the two maintenance benefits and £2,500 on cancer and has a limit on worldwide emergency cover.
Customers may use any dentist in the UK. The plan is underwritten by AXA PPP healthcare and customers must be aged 18-59 at outset. Cover stops at age 60. Up to four adults can be covered under the same policy (at extra cost). Based on someone aged 30, cover costs from £4.00 to £21.99 a month.
What They Say
Managing director Andrew Bower said: “Dental care is often overlooked and, these days, is seen as a luxury that many can’t afford. With our new individual products, we hope to reach an even wider audience and assist them in maintaining good dental health hygiene.”
What We Say
"Our review focuses on Dencover but it’s also worth commenting on Wisdom. Quite simply, as long as you trust your dentist not to inflate their fees, it offers a 20% discount for not very much money each year. Moreover it covers more than just remedial and maintenance treatment so your teeth whitening or implants are discounted too.
"Dencover is already established in the corporate market and it is good to see it now available to individuals too. It offers a choice of cover levels (and prices) and greater competition in this market should help stimulate it."