Expatriate Healthcare has launched a new range of short term international healthcare insurance policies. It says short-term healthcare policies can suit many expats, travellers and volunteers. Those on overseas secondments, students studying abroad, and those who do not want to return home for treatment can therefore all benefit from purchasing their overseas iPMI in smaller chunks.
The plans provide individuals travelling abroad for periods of three to 11 months with comprehensive iPMI protection but, just for a shorter amount of time to better suit their needs.
Three versions are available:
* Primary. This provides cover up to €1m, with the lowest limits in some areas of the three plans available. Outpatient and GP benefits are limited to pre-hospitalisation (and 60 days post hospitalisation).
* Primary+. This provides up to €1.5m of cover and offers higher hospital cash, organ transplant, some outpatient and GP, and some assistance, special and other benefits.
* Select. This provides the highest benefits (up to €5m a year) and generally higher levels of some covers, plus includes routine and restorative dental treatment (rather than just emergency accident cover), optical care (up to €150), and preventative care (travel vaccinations, cervical smears, mammograms and prostate cancer screening).
In summary, the key benefits of the Short Term Healthcare Insurance plans include:
* Instant healthcare cover.
* Choice of three plan benefit levels.
* 24 Hour support.
* No hospital restrictions.
* Comprehensive protection.
* 3-11 month cover term.
* One-off premium payment.
* Defined start and end dates.
* No out-of-pocket hospital expenses.
What They Say
Director Lee Gerry said: "This is an initiative by the Expatriate Group Customer Care team, who have highlighted that this is something that’s regularly requested by new members.
"Travel policies might not work in all cases, as the aim, in the event of a claim, is to get the customer back to their home country for treatment. Whereas the short term iPMI policy allows customers to receive local medical treatment without any break in their obligations overseas."
What We Say
"Let’s start with the quote from Lee Gerry. Hoorah! This shows not just that the firm’s customer care team listens to its customers, but also that the firm listens to its customer care team!
"On a more serious note, the plans meet a need that is probably bigger than might be imagined. That includes not just employers but also for individuals – either for themselves, or for someone in their family.
"Very short-term insurance plans are not new, but in the iPMI space these products could be very useful. Not least because the alternative of relying on travel insurance can and does leave big cover gaps for those spending any time abroad other than on holiday. Paying upfront for the whole period is on balance an advantage, although paying monthly might have been easier for some."