This new personal private medical insurance (PMI) plan from AXA PPP healthcare is a modular plan and covers within the core plan:
* Inpatient and daypatient treatment.
* Outpatient surgery and scans.
* Private ambulance
* Nurse administered intravenous antibiotics.
* NHS cash payment of £50 a night up to £2,000 a year.
* Oral surgery.
* Heart cover.
* Cancer diagnostics, surgery and scans.
* Children’s cover.
To which a range of options can be added, including:
* Standard outpatient option. Covers up to three consultations a year.
* Full outpatient option.
* Therapies option. Covers up to ten sessions a year after GP referral and further cover.
* Mental health option.
* Dentist and optician cashback option. Pays 80% of costs up to £300 and £140 a year respectively, plus £25pa towards an eye test.
* Extended cover option. Includes up to £500 a year for private GP, no limits on specialist fees and overseas treatment.
* European or worldwide travel cover options.
* Adventure sports upgrades within a Travel Cover Option.
There are also various ways to reduce cost:
* Six week option. This reduces premiums by up to 25%.
* Six excess options from £100 to £5,000 a year.
* 5% annual payment discount.
* No claims discount. Up to 80%, with 17 levels. A protected no claim discount is also available.
* NHS cancer support option. This does not cover treatment but will pay for licenced cancer drugs that the NHS will not pay for.
Underwriting is either full medical or a 5:2:2 year related moratorium. Advantageous switching terms are available. Babies are covered free from birth until their parents’ next renewal date. Customers can manage much of their membership information online, including making claims and getting information.
What They Say
Intermediary distribution director Paul Moulton said: “In developing Personal Health we’ve drawn upon our experience of meeting our members’ healthcare needs for over 70 years and we have listened to feedback from customers and intermediaries. I am confident that, with its strong core of cover, expert support from our team of health professionals and compelling cost reduction measures, Personal Health will appeal to intermediaries and their clients alike.”
What We Say
"AXA PPP has built a lot of options into its new modular personal plan – to a large extent that is now necessary in order to enable people to manage cost down to an acceptable level. It adds complexity but the options are generally straightforward and logical.
"There are strong family and practical elements to the way in which cover is explained in the literature and we also like the fact that speaking to a physiotherapist is included (so often a visit will not be necessary) and there is a good focus on cancer and heart cover. That includes getting same day cancer appointments where possible.
"With Personal Health, open referral is not mandatory but is optional - members do have choice and are not required to take an open referral route.
"AXA PPP claims to have ‘market-leading’ no claims discounts but NCDs are a double-edged sword. They can result in lower future premiums but can also mean having to pay much higher premiums if you do claim. The ideal would be to have no initial NCD, fast NCD increases and then only small downward steps if you do claim.
"Overall, there’s a lot we like in this plan, but it has other elements you may or may not like so needs careful consideration – as with any PMI plan. AXA PPP is however the second largest PMI provider in the UK and this plan should prove popular."