Aetna has revamped its core health benefits plans and now allows employers to select from one of four base plans and then to choose from a menu of up to 49 additional benefits. The four base International Health Plans are called Core, IHP Essential, IHP Plus and IHP Elite. This review focuses on the Elite product, which Aetna says is proving one of its most popular versions. IHP Elite includes the following main benefits (annual limits in GP£ shown):
- Benefits denominated in Euros, GP Pounds or US Dollars
- Maximum cover £1.6m per member per period of cover
- Full refund for all main benefits including outpatient treatment
- Accidental damage to teeth
- Outside area of cover A&E treatment. Full refund, including outpatient treatment up to £315
- AIDS cover up to £12,500 per person
- Congenital anomalies cover has been extended to include conditions identified in child dependents up to 12 months old
- Chronic conditions up to £18,750
- Evacuation costs
- Home nursing up to 28 weeks
- Hospice care up to a lifetime £30,000
- Injury or illness as an innocent bystander, up to £30,000 per incident
- Inpatient psychiatric treatment up to 30 days
- Parental accommodation with children up to age 18
- Rehabilitation up to 120 days per medical condition
- Vaccinations and inoculations up to £325
Additional options can involve different levels of dental benefit, as well as reimbursements for routine pregnancy, wellness options, vision care, infertility treatment and more. Many of the options can be flexed, and a choice of excesses is available too.
IHP members have access to Aetna’s wellness resources and services, including the online AGB wellness centre, cancer outreach programme and a health risk assessment tool available in 12 languages.
What They Say
Donna Otten, head of Aetna Global Benefits (AGB), said: “We recognise that employers need a comprehensive level of core health benefits and flexibility in plan design in order to meet the needs of their varied employee populations. We have redesigned our health plans to provide a richer level of base benefits to work with different budgets and included wellness features to help employees make positive changes that can lead to lasting healthy lifestyles. At the same time, we’ve provided the most flexible selection of add-ons and limits yet, so that employers can purchase the features they need to tailor benefits packages to cater for regionally diverse needs and make the most of their healthcare investments."
What We Say
"These new plans offer a wide choice of benefits than can be flexed so that each employee can have the benefits they want or need. We particularly like the wellness benefits and resources, which look to be more coherent than some."