Aviva has launched Health Essentials for corporate customers (250+ employees), enabling them to offer simple low cost top-up cancer and physiotherapy cover to their employees.
Company Health Essentials offers health insurance targeting specific conditions, and is intended to complement care customers receive through NHS health services.
The range sits alongside Aviva’s private medical insurance plans, and aims to provide cover for all budgets and across all life stages. Launched to direct customers in early 2016, the products now also available to corporate clients are:
Company Cancer Essentials:
* Up to £100,000 towards the cost of non-NHS funded cancer drugs, if recommended by the customer’s NHS specialist.
* A £5,000 cash sum payable on the diagnosis of cancer, to help with immediate everyday costs.
* 24/7 access to a GP Helpline.
* Access to phone based cancer support and advice from personal nurse advisers.
Company Physio Essentials:
* Up to five phone consultations a year with qualified physiotherapists, providing:
– Phone access to qualified physiotherapists to monitor progress.
– Personalised online programme and phone app.
– Physiotherapy treatment with local physiotherapists if required.
* 24/7 access to a GP helpline.
* If the clinician believes the employee’s condition can’t be managed by physiotherapy, they will provide the employee with details of their assessment to take to their GP, who may then arrange for them to see a specialist.
Company Essentials can be selected by companies as fully funded company paid cover for all staff or groups of staff, or as part of a flexible benefit offer – either funded by the company or the employee. This gives companies the flexibility to tailor the benefit in line with their current employee offerings.
What They Say
Dr Doug Wright, medical director at Aviva UK Health, said: "We know that individuals worry about how they would cope in the future if their health suffered. Our innovative range of top-up health insurance products are designed to target customers’ specific health needs, at an affordable price.
"We hope that by offering the Health Essentials range to our large corporate clients, they can in turn offer additional peace of mind to their employees."
What We Say
"Budget PMI policies always make me a tad nervous, as the customer may need treatment for something that is not covered, but would have been on a more expensive policy. For individuals, this makes recommendations harder but, if the customer simply doesn’t have the budget, the alternative may be no cover at all – which would be even worse.
"In the group market however, and especially if the employer is paying, such concerns are less of an issue. If cover is being provided free, it is hard to complain that it doesn’t offer even more.
"Aviva has now rolled out its Health Essential plan to corporates and it enables them to top-up cancer care (or at least to pay for some cancer costs) and/or physio. Both are major causes of sickness absence and loss of productivity. On a human level, both benefits are very valuable to individuals to have covered by their employer.
"Would it be better to have full PMI cover? Of course, but then cost becomes an issue. The key to this plan though will be to encourage corporates to see this plan as an alternative to having no PMI cover. In that way, PMI – a benefit highly valued by employees – could affordably be offered to many more employees, with significant benefits to their employer too."